8 HEALTH BENEFITS OF PINE NUTS (CHILGOZA)-THE NUTTY WINTER TREAT
Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pines (family Pinaceae, genus Pinus). About 20 species of pine produce seeds large enough to be worth harvesting; in other pines the seeds are also edible, but are too small to be of notable value as a human food. In Asia two species are widely harvested, Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis) in northeast Asia (the most important species in international trade), and chilgoza pine (Pinus gerardiana) in the western Himalaya.
Enjoying a handful of nuts may increase your longevity in eight healthy ways:
- Pine nuts help maintain your body’s hormonal health as they are rich in zinc. Zinc aids in healing and stimulates the activity of about 100 enzymes in the body.
- They are a rich source ofmagnesium too. Magnesium is also known as the ‘Mood Mineral’. It helps decrease anxiety, stress and depression. These vital nuts calm the body and improve your sleep and memory. So tuck a few into your bag for a quick snack loaded with health.
- Rich inIron: Pine nuts help your body transport and store oxygen. Furthermore, they are great forbrain health too. It’s a good idea to roast them, as that will reduce the effect of iron inhibitors.
- The unsaturated fats found in pine nuts help increase insulin sensitivity. In addition, when eaten as a part of the meal, they can reduce the overall glycemic index. This is good news fordiabetics.
- Great for Dieters: Handful of these seeds help in weight management. The Pinolenic Acid in pine nuts stimulate the intestine to produce a particular hormone that signals the brain to turn off ‘Hungry Mode’.
- Nutrient dense: Pine nuts are loaded with healthy fats, dietary fiber, plant sterols, arginine, anti-oxidants,vitamins and minerals that are heart protective. The high antioxidant content in the seeds slows down ageing, making you look and feel younger.
- Since pine nuts are rich invitamin A and lutein, their consumption on a regular basis will help develop sharp vision. Sprinkle pine seeds on salads for that extra crunch, full of wholesome health benefits.
- Get that glow with these antioxidants rich seeds: They help control how fast you age by combating free radicals, which play a part in age related deterioration. Make these a part of your daily snacking to rejuvenate your skin and hair.