Importance Of Radiation Signage In Radiology Department
- A symbol is something such as an object, picture, written word, sound, or particular mark that represents something else by association, resemblance, or convention. A sign is an entity which indicates another entity.
- Hazard symbols are designed to warn about hazardous materials or locations. The use of hazard symbols is often regulated by law and directed by standard organizations. Hazard symbols may appear with different colours, backgrounds, borders and supplemental information in order to signify the type of hazard. According to, Act14 (3) of the Atomic Energy (Radiation Protection) Rules, 2004. The Chairman, AERB, is the Competent Authority, to issues an order prescribing the specifications for the radiation symbol and warning sign.
Specifications For Radiation Symbol/Warning Sign:
- The radiation symbol for radioactive sources other than medical diagnostic and industrial x-ray radiography equipment
- The radiation symbol for radiation generating equipment such as medical diagnostic x-ray equipment, industrial x-ray radiography equipment and accelerators
- Sign must be posted where radioactive materials are handled or where radiation-producing equipment is used.
- Sign is used as a warning to protect people from being exposed to radioactivity.
Radiation Symbol for Radiation Generating Equipment
- The triangle shall be equilateral.
- The ratio of the outer to the inner sides of the triangle shall be 1.5.
- The printing on the area between the outer and inner triangle and figure inside the inner triangle shall be bold,proportional and red in colour.
- The area between the outer and inner triangle should be accompanied by appropriate legend in English, Hindi and local language indicating radiation hazard and restricted entry.
On February 15, 2007, International organization for standardization (ISO) and the International atomic energy agency (IAEA) launched a new radiation warning symbol entitled the “Ionizing radiation symbol”.
- The goal of the new symbol is “to help reduce needless deaths and serious injuries from accidental exposure to large radioactive sources.
- The new symbol is intended to supplement the existing, well recognized radiation trefoil symbol.
- The new symbol has been designed to convey the message “Danger Stay Away” to anyone who sees it, regardless of their age, education, or cultural background.
- It should be placed on the device housing the source, as a warning not to dismantle the device or to get any closer.
By – Assistant Professor – Mr. Binoo
Uttaranchal (P.G.) College Of Bio-Medical Sciences & Hospital