Significance of Gut Flora
When bacteria in gut is not balance, it can cause various health problems, including neurological and psychological disorders. Some of the conditions resulting from a poor gut health are listed below:
- Irritable bowel syndrome – abdominal pain, bloating, Diarrhea and constipation
- Autoimmune diseases such as – fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and diabetes
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Atopic eczema – an itchy inflammation of the skin.
- Allergic rhinitis
- And even the common cold
Below are a few things that can be done to promote gut health and well-being. These include:
- Avoid overuse of antibiotics that kill bacteria, including the gut flora
- Antibiotics killpathogenic bacteria, but they also eliminate the gut bacteria which are essential for our health. Research also suggests that good bacteria wiped out by antibiotics.
- Take probiotics that are essential for a good gut health. Probiotics contain multiple strains of bacteria that can help with digestion of fiber, vitamin absorption as well as regular bowel movements. Probiotics and can be found in live yoghurt, fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, tofu, soy sauce.Gut flora can be restored by having probiotics.
- Include prebiotics – ingredients primarily found in vegetables and fruits that are high in soluble and insoluble fiber such as, garlic, onions, bananas, blueberries, asparagus, rye, etc.