‘WED’ Celebrate EveryoneAs A Festival
“What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another”. – Mahatma Gandhi
Every year we are celebrating World Environment Dayon June 5th. The world environment day is a part of United Nations Environmental Program for creating awareness about environment.UNEP is made up of elected committee members from various countries that work together to promote environmental issues through creating treaties and regulations for countries to sign that are based in environmental law, environmental health and environmental sustainability initiatives.On this day, communities and individuals around the world work to increase awareness of the importance of conserving& sustainable the environment, the positive global impact of environmental regulations and controls and engage in activities that serve to educate and improve their environment locally. It grew out of the efforts of leading environmentalists who recognized the need for there to be a coordinated global focus to begin to make conserving the environment and our natural resources a priority.
The first World Environment Day was celebrated in 1974, and the campaign aims at raising awareness about the various environmental issues and how to cope with them. This international day was designed at the UN General Assembly in 1972 with the aim of integration of human interactions and the environment. Two years after this discussion, the first World Environment Day was celebrated on June 5, 1974, with a theme of “Only One Earth”. Ever since World Environment Day is being celebrated all over the world and every year a new theme is designed that helps in understanding various issues like water pollution, ozone layer depletion, global warming, etc.Today it is widely celebrated in more than 100 countries.
Theme of WED 2017:Every year there is a specially designed theme for World Environment Day which is decided by the host country. The World Environment Day 2017 is being hosted by Canada and the theme of the year has been declared as ‘Connecting People to Nature’. The United Nations revealed that the motto of this year’s theme is to drive people to step outside and re-connect with the world and nature once again. The UN believes that people need to enjoy nature once again, so they realise the value of the planet and do their bit in bringing about change.
Some suggestion for different activities that you can do as a part of World Environment Day-
- Weed and fertilize public trees and gardens.
- Collect trash in your community.
- Talk to your parents. Come out with a plan that could help you to save energy and reduce your monthly electricity bills.
- Plant a new plot in a community garden with different rows holding plants from different countries.
- Clean up litter on roads.
- Dispose hazardous waste like batteries, paint cans, old electronics in recycling centres as they could prove disastrous when disposed openly.
- Learn how composting works. The organic waste that ends up in landfills can be a great source of nutrient for your plants that can help them grow and shine.
- Discuss with your friends and brainstorm ideas as to how can you reduce your carbon footprint and be environment friendly.
- Buy items made up from recycled products. Look out for recycle symbol on the packaged goods.
Create beautiful handicrafts from recycled material and gift it to your friends or relatives.
- Make a commitment to yourself, like a New Years’ resolution, to do one thing differently to increase how you benefit the environment.
Web link: http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/what-is-world-environment-day.php