UTTARANCHAL (PG) COLLEGE OF BIO-MEDICAL SCIENCES AND HOSPITAL,
DEHRADUN-248001 (U.K) INDIA
REPORT ON: EDUCATIONAL TOUR REPORT TO Dr. Y.S. PARMAR UNIVERSITY OF HORTICULTURE AND FORESTRY, SOLAN, H.P.
DATE OF PROGRAM: (18-11-2019 To 21-11-2019)
This was four days educational tour report of Forestry students (IIIrd Semester) to Dr. Y.S Parmar University, Horticulture and Forestry, Solan, Himachal Pradesh and adjacent areas. The tour was organized by Mrs. Izenti Reang, Faculty, Department of Forestry and accompanied by Ms. Anju Rawat to supervise the students in their field based practicals and expertise. The tour was started at 09:00am from the college and arrived Solan area at 9:30 PM on 18-11-2019. On the way, at 01:30 PM we reached at KVK (Dr. Y.S Parmar University), Dhaulakuan, where the senior Scientist Dr. A.K Joshi delivered a lecture on different types of propagation and different varieties of fruits and medicinal plants invented by their KVK Scientists.
The workshop and field based practicals was a training for Forestry students during their educational tour to Dr. Y.S. Parmar University, Horticulture and Forestry, Solan, Himachal Pradesh. In the workshop, experts have delivered a series of lecturers, hands-on experience on various instruments, tools, labs visits, herbarium, libarary, forestry-scopes and applications, and conducted a number of field based excursion visitis along with lectures. The field based excursion visit was on Tree improvements, Genetics & Breeding, Seed orchads (clonal and seed), Medicinal and Aromatic plants, Nurseries, Arboratum, Cactarium, Bambusetum, differente Silviculture and Agroforestry Models and livestock management as part of agroforestry. Additionally, study was undertaken on the forest compostion, distribution of the species, phenology, flora and fauna in the area. Each accompanying faculty has contributed greatly with their capacity and expertise in the field based experiments and practical that has conducted at in the locality adjacent areas. The students had hands-on experience with various forestry instruments and forestry learning in respective subjects that has enhanced their capacity, learning, scopes of forestry and knowledge on forestry. This potential training and educational tour would be useful for their forestry career endeavour. The educational tour was successfully completed and returned back to the college on 21-11-2019 at 08:30 p.m.
The purpose of an educational tour, which was successfully completed with the following objectives:
- The students have hands-on experience and conducted various experiments on Forestry, Silvicultue and Agroforestry in the field using various forestry instruments, tools and sampling methods, new technology on resin extraction to improve their skills and knowledge on it.
- It has improved their practical knowledge on forestry and abovementioned topics. Moreover, this educational tour has enhanced their theoretical and practical knowledge, interpersonal skills and improved their skills and knowledge to conduct the field practicals (as part of their course), data collection, observation, analysis and documentation.
- It has enhanced students’ skills and knowledge on medicinal and aromatic plants, seed collection, storage, handling and processing.
- They have also advanced their knowledge on agroforestry systems, silviculture systems, arboretum, cactarium and bambusetum, wildlife, forest ecology, forest composition, forest types, phenology agroforesrtry practices, world forestry, scopes and applications of forestry, vegetation analysis, plantation forestry, rangeland, medicinal and aromatic plants.
- It has improved their capacity and knowledge on various forestry related practicals and subjects. The study was undertaken on the characterisitics of trees/shrubs/grasses for agroforestry
- This educational tour has enhanced the practical and theoretical knowledge of students, which could be useful for their forestry career and future endeavor.
Mrs. Izenti Reang
Mrs. Anju Rawat
Faculty, Department of Forestry